We had barely set foot in the crescent city and got swept away by all of our energetic aunts, uncles and cousins, and before we knew it a week and a half later we were still there, a trail of seafood, swamps and sunshine behind us.
Over and over again we heard that in New Orleans (specifically in Mardi Gras, as that was on the horizon) there is a place for everyone. It may not be the same for everyone, but there is something for everyone. And while that may not be the absolute best of all possible worlds, there is something to it.
One of our favorite new people we met was a nun living in the poorest neighborhood of the city, in the works of opening "Hotel Hope" for the housing and healing of homeless women. She told us: "Enough with thinking outside the box, that doesn't work anymore. We need to get rid of the box, throw it out the window."
Standing
on the sidewalk in the warehouse district Sister Mary
Lou, Libby and I look over our half-finished, newly painted chalkboard car.
I say it looks like the batmobile, and we throw out new names for it:
the Ideamobile, the Think Tank. Libby says, “Let's start a
movement! (of chalkboard cars, she means)” Mary Lou responds, “I'm planning to start a movement,
just not sure what kind yet.”
So,
there is no box. A movement without a box is the kind of movement I
would start, if I were to start one. What could we rally
people around? An idea? A cause? How about liberty and justice for
all?
No comments:
Post a Comment