Sunday, September 22, 2013

Check Mark: Week 1

Living in a new city is a surreal experience. It is simultaneously home and totally unfamiliar...

Working at Old Skool has followed suit. It feels very normal to go in, participate in meetings and discussions around the organization, work in the restaurant and joke around with the employees....
yet at the same time everything is new and I am constantly learning.

On my first day I overheard a conversation taking place in the kitchen.
Student of their training program, talking to one of the already graduated employees: "So, is this a church?"
Employee: "No, I mean, it's not like a religion or anything... It's more like a family."

It's true, Old Skool feels like a family, and the youth have openly and quickly welcomed me into it.

So has Steve, the restaurant's Director of Operations, who reminds me of my good friend Guy Western. It is a great feeling when you know you don't have to try to prove yourself to someone, but you are seen for who you are and automatically valued for what you can offer. Thank you Steve! It is because of you that I am in a perfect position to learn everything I need to know to run a restaurant well.

Greatest accomplishment so far: Last night I earned the entire staff's respect by taking on the cooks' challenge to eat a full rack of ribs. I felt a little guilty for not sharing, but my competitive streak came out, and heck yes I can eat a full rack of tasty barbecued ribs!

3 comments:

  1. Alright for downin' it! ... just don't have them challenge you to any butter competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been going on FB and voting for Old Skool every day! I am so happy for you, and for your capacity to eat ribs!

    ReplyDelete