Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Like the Wind

How can I begin to describe life as it was the last few months?

My favorite question to be asked is, "What did you do today?"

And I think, if only you could understand. How can I tell you that my days are filled with lots of children, homework, EBT grocery runs, brushing and cutting and styling hair, looking for lice, family trips to the mountains and beach, hunting down runaway teenagers, picking cacti off the side of the road to cook for dinner, feeding chickens and gathering eggs, vegetable gardening, substitute teaching, building bunk beds, mediating my Mexican family's drama....

My real answer: "Not much, just baked some pie."

So I guess you could say I poured all of that mess into my pies --  in the midst of the chaos I baked, maybe just to have something that was all mine, something I could create that would come out beautifully every time and be shared and enjoyed... while the rest of life was not so simple.

It seems life is always this way; a big messy story that twists and turns and ups and downs... and so we embrace every part of it and turn it into beautiful things, like pies and friendships.

As you know I left Pasadena about 2 weeks ago for another adventure. It's hard to leave people and places that I've come to love, but I've also come to learn that there are lovely people and places everywhere, and when given the chance to set forth and find them I can never turn it down. The pie and I and my friends from Trapdoor Social made it all the way out to the East coast like a traveling band of gypsies. WAIT, wait, hold up -- I JUST DROVE COAST TO COAST IN MY VW VAN?!?! Yes, that happened.... swiftly and unexpectedly; like the wind. I think I'll continue to follow its lead.

2 comments:

  1. So happy you are living out one of your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. And what do you mean 'like' a traveling band of gypsies? ;)

    ReplyDelete